Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Strike Action

News came this evening that UCU will be striking for three days next month. My first reaction was relief that I don't have face-to-face teaching on those days, so I won't have to break a picket line. I can quietly hide away at home. I remember I spent an anxious morning last week wondering what I would do if a strike was called. It was a case of be damned (by the department) if I did, and damned (by my conscience if I don't. Obviously, this predicament is not going to go away, and it will likely hit me some time next year. But, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. There are many bridges ahead of me and the world, and there is no point in thinking about them until they materialize. In fact, not thinking about them may be an essential survival skill. Right now, I am just focussed on surviving till my India trip. 

No comments: