Thursday, November 11, 2021

Mind-Body: Which follows which

The mind-body connection is endlessly fascinating and often disturbing. On Sunday, I suddenly started feeling cold and trembling. My  first instinct was that I was coming down with something, but it wasn't that familiar under-the-weather feeling that prompts me to take a crocin. This was something else and by night time I knew what it was because I didn't sleep a wink. It was good ole anxiety. I had to teach the next day, which made it worse. I thought it would taper down after I had finished my class, but it got worse, and Monday night was a bad night too. I mended fences with one of my housemates because I wanted to borrow weed from him, but the weed made it worse. I started having proper tremors. In the past few days, I have been taking half a sleeping pill before bed. Which brings me to the subject of today's blog. In my mind, I  know this ordeal will end in a few weeks, and I will see my family after more than two years. All my worries--about the visa, about getting a month away--proved to be unfounded. My work load is not as bad as it was a few weeks ago. So, if mind is, or should be, more at ease, why is my body behaving this way? Is it just the accumulated stress that is now showing because I am struggling to stay afloat? Trying to fathom the ways of the mind and the body is an ambitious exercise. In the depths of sleeplessness, one feels like one will never sleep soundly again. That every evening will be accompanies by sleep anxiety. That the smallest hiccup will keep one up all night. One feels frazzled and fragile. 

No comments: