This morning when I woke up, I saw an email from a professor teaching for the distribution of my grades. Cue anxiety that I had been overly generous with my grades. My mean was 65 and median 67. Surely, that is too high? So, imagine my relief when she responded saying hers was very similar. But, this unit has a habit of springing bad if not nasty surprises, so it turned out that I would have to grade 7 assignments that were submitted late. That took up the rest of the afternoon, but at least I didn't have to entangle myself in the assignments I had already graded to adjust the marks downwards. In the evening, I uploaded the grades. I am 95% sure I have messed up somewhere. either in the form of garbled feedback or grades on the feedback sheet and on the marksheet not matching. I have been writing my PhD and have been discovering howlers on readbacks. My brain feels like mush a lot of the time, so that's no surprise. About messing up on the grading, I have been telling myself that it will be fine. Everyone makes mistakes even in the best of times, and we are some worlds away from that. I am doing my best in a chaotic world and holding myself up to normal world standards is unreasonable. And, the fiddly grading process was particularly error-prone to make matters worse. So, when (or if) mistakes are discovered, the only thing to do is accept them, apologize and move on. Of course, I could have checked every file again individually. and, watch my head explode.
Thursday, November 4, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment