Friday, November 19, 2021

Patience With Students

Over the past two semesters, I have discovered that I am good at interacting with students. This is based on how students respond to me. I have always known that I have a knack of explaining things well, a kill no doubt honed during my time as a journalist. But, here I am talking about my blackboard-side manner. I have a good board-side manner. However, I am still an introvert and long interaction with students sap the energy out of me. Yesterday, I spent one hour teaching a boy who had missed some students and am pretty sure had made no effort to catch up. Since he has taken a liking to me (he was the one who said he he was lucky to have me as a personal tutor) I feel a little guilty being annoyed at him. But, he did irritate the hell out of me yesterday. However, I did not let my irritation show, and that is all that matters. There will obviously be times when students test my patience and/or annoy me. Fortunately, I don't ahvev an anger management problem and can mask my irritation well. 

No comments: