I went to my Linkedin profile today, and much to my horror, saw a bunch of messages congratulating me for finishing my PhD. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. What happened was a couple of weeks ago, I had started to add my new job to the profile before changing my mind because I didn't have my visa yet. I had forgotten that I had added an end date to my PhD and Linkedin unbeknownst to me broadcast it to my contacts. I have hibernated my account, but I am sure word has gone out. I felt red with embarrassment. Having people think I have finished my PhD when I have been struggling with the final draft for months seems particularly dishonest. But, on second thoughts, no one outside my immediate circle really cares if or when I finish my PhD. I shouldn't mistake curiosity for concern. And, I am going to finish my PhD soon. And, after I finish my PhD I can go back and change the dates. This world will always throw something at you that frazzles you. You have to talk yourself out of being frazzled sometimes. It is not always possible to do so, but one should try. And, when one is not in the depths of despair, it is possible to talk yourself out of being frazzled.
P.S: I have hibernated my Linkedin account.
No comments:
Post a Comment