Saturday, October 30, 2021

Back to the PhD Hustle

 I was going to say 'grind' instead of hustle in the title of this post, but then I realized I need to stop seeing it as a grind. The time for grinding is over, its now time to hustle and get the job done. I have realised I can spend infinite amount of time on intellectual puzzles that my thesis touches upon. The question I need to ask myself is "Does it matter to my PhD" and be ruthless about abandoning it if it doesn't. It is foolish to think that I will solve every, if not most, if not many of the intellectual riddles around my PhD. I won't and its foolish to even try. My job is to write a coherent PhD in the time I have left. That will mean sidestepping rather than solving many intellectual mazes and blackholes. This afternoon, I messaged my supervisor to ask if I should send here what I have so far, even if its half-baked. She replied in the negative, and I didn't waste a single moment in bitterness or disappointment. I am in this alone now, as I always was, and now is the time to hustle. 

No comments: