Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Inspiration

 Today, I watched a video talk by the guy from Cambridge whose department I am applying too.  I am glad I did because I came away inspired. He is Korean, but is nothing like the stereotype of the meek, soft-spoken. he pulled no punches when it came to railing against mainstream economists and even dropped the F-bomb. Passionate, blunt and with zero fucks to give. The kind of person I want to work with and the kind of academic I want to be. I have lived long enough to know how the public persona often doesn't match the person. And, even if it does in this case, he might be unimpressed by my application. But, nevertheless, I am inspired. This job will always be a long shot, but I am inspired to give it my best shot, not mince words or mind my P's and Qs in my motivation letter. It is moments like this that remind me why I am doing what I am doing, which applies to the job hunt as well as my PhD. I am passionate about economics, writing and teaching. Wherever life takes me, whatever I end up doing, I will find a way to pursue at least one of these passions. 

No comments: