Friday, August 14, 2020

Truth

 This evening, I did a practice from my favourite yoga with Adrienne series, which is special to me because I came to it when I was clambering up from the pit of depression. The video was titled truth practice, which got me thinking about truth. I have written before quoting Georg Simmel who believed what is useful is true and not the other way around. But, I have a few more random thoughts on the subject. I believe something is true if you don't have to convince yourself about it, if you can feel it. When you stop fighting it, you feel a sense of ease even if it makes life more difficult and complicated. it can be frustrating when you "know" something to be true, but can't feel it. For instance, when all rational signs point out you have a unhealthy relationship with guilt, but you can't "feel" it. The connection between truth and honesty is more nebulous. When you are doing something dishonest and acknowledge that fact to yourself, if not to anyone else, isn't that your truth? I am not trying to be a wise ass (If you are honesty about dishonesty, doesn't that make you honest?). I do feel that it is perfectly possible to do something dishonest without a shred of guilt if you have made peace with yourself about it. And, that is easier said than done for sensitive, conscientious folk. 

No comments: