This evening, I dug into Yoga with Adrienne folder on my computer and decided to do a session I hadn't done in years. The session I picked was titled 'I Enjoy'. On days like today, when I felt like I was standing in a cloud of dust thrown up by my wheels spinning in place, it was just what I needed. I am trying to make a conscious effort to enjoy my PhD. The chief obstacles to my enjoyment are the scale of the task, which still feels momentous, and the pace of progress, which feels sedate. I am trying to put these perceptions out of my mind and rediscover my curiosity and wonder about my topic. Despite missing every deadline I have set myself for the past six months, I haven't grown sick of my topic. I still find it intriguing, which I suppose is an encouraging sign. So, I took particular comfort from Adriene's words towards the close of the session--" All we can do is do our best and try to enjoy". I am fairly confident that I am following the first part of that statement, so all I need to do is work in the second part.
I have managed to keep myself in good spirits so far, of which I am proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment