Ever since my Romanian housemate's mother left, the task of keeping the house clean has fallen on me. When she was around, I knew that our house was as clean as it was because of her. But, I was also under the impression that my other housemates were cleaner and more considerate than the average housemate. Since she left, I have discovered I was wrong. They are no cleaner and no more considerate than what you would expect people their age to be.
I don't mind being the one who cleans the most as it gives me something to do with my hands. The common areas are clean thanks to me and I even take some pride in them. But, improper garbage disposal does annoy me. For instance, I found a watermelon rind in the recycling box today. I also often see stuff that can't be recycled in the recycling box, which irritates. me. But, after toying with the idea of educating my housemates, I decided against it. Firstly, I go out of my way to avoid confrontation, which is a weakness that I am well-aware of. But, educating them will also entail having a long conversation with them and possible arguments about what can or can't be recycled. I just can't be bothered. The nature of renting with young people in Bristol is they never stick around in one place for long. In a space of eight months I have had two changes of housemates and I daresay that number would have been higher but for the pandemic. Another housemate is trying to save up to move. Why waste time engaging with people who are here today, gone tomorrow?
Cleaning up after people without reproaching them has given me a glimpse of what life is like for many women. I suppose some of them don't reproach the offenders because they have given up after trying too many times, or possibly of out fear of abuse.
No comments:
Post a Comment