I have always been fond of gossip, which I have attributed to my roots in journalism. But, the pandemic has made me even more of a busybody. Working from home all day has made me acutely curious about all the going-ons around me. Trying to guess which days my annoying housemate works in an electronic store, why did an ambulance pull up in front of our neighbour's house last week, what is the connection between our neighbour and their neighbour on the other side as they always seem to be passing through each other's back gardens? I have often wondered whether it is possible to be fascinated by people's lives without any desire to interact with them. I guess I am interested in people to the extent that I am interested in their stories. If I can find out their stories without talking to them that would be great. But I am too much of an introvert that, I would prefer not talking to someone even if that meant giving up on finding their stories.
But, I realized my annoying housemate was taking up too much space in my head. The more I concerned myself with her affairs and the more space she occupied in my head, the more irritated I would feel the next time she does something to piss me off. So, I am making a conscious effort to ignore her.
No comments:
Post a Comment