Saturday, August 8, 2020

Loners Out and About

 I frequently go for walks on the downs behind my house and I can count on one hand how many times I have seen people walking alone. When there is no human company, there is usually a dog. And, the few lone walkers I have seen were all men, except one. Obviously, safety would be a concern for women. But, I am wondering whether my experience of walking alone, and generally being by myself most of the time, would change if I saw more loners out and about. Would one feel as lonely in a world of proud loners? it is human to compare your life with other people's lives, and when most of the people out and about are couples, families or groups of friends it is natural to feel out of place if you are alone. Often, what one misses is not company itself but the idea of company or at the cost of seeming too cynical the idea of being seen with company. When one is bored while alone, one misses company, conveniently assuming they wouldn't be bored among company. I am not trying to say humans are not social animals. Also, some are obviously more social than others. But, the more social ones are seen as the norm and the rest of us are considered aberrations. 

No comments: