Tomorrow, my uni campus will reopen after five-and-a-half months. When it had closed at the start of spring, I was worried I would struggle as I had never worked from home before. My life revolved around the PhD room. Turns out working from home is not so bad. My bedroom, the house and the surrounding are quite pleasant. I bought a desk for my room just before we locked down, and now that decision seems like a no-brainer. I haven't been very productive workwise, but I have been in good health and good spirits. What more can one ask for?
I have realised I am a person of habits and routines so going back to university will doubtless entail a significant change in routine. No more cooking in a leisurely manner and I will have to plan my dishes based on what is easy to carry for lunch. I might have to forsake afternoon coffee that I have become quite used to and think of what to do with the excess milk. But, I don't think I am going to go back to my routine before lockdown, which had me in uni from 8 am to at least 6 pm. My bedroom has become more than just a place where I sleep and exercise. I am aiming for an easier pace of life with fewer hours spent working but achieving more within them.
Of course, all this depends on how long we stay open and whether I feel safe going. I might be back to working from home within a few weeks, in which case it will be just a much-needed change of scene. If the pandemic will teach us anything, it will be to become more flexible.
No comments:
Post a Comment