Something I have increasingly been wondering about is the work habits of creative people. Do they follow a routine or do they just coast along until inspiration seizes them, assuming, of course, that other responsibilities leave them enough time to do so? Since my work schedule has become increasingly erratic over the past weeks and since I am yet to be seized by inspiration, I would really like to know. I am not pretending that writing a PhD thesis in the social sciences is an artistic endeavour. But, it is beginning to feel like it. And, a part of me hopes that it is because I am banking a lot on non-linear progress. I haven't been idle over the past five months--far from it. I can feel the wheels turning in my brain, but I have precious little to show for it in terms of actual output. I can only hope that the level is rising on the other side of the dam (which I cannot see) and words will burst forth one day. It must, because my meandering cannot go on forever. Either inspiration will seize me or frustration will. And, maybe, just maybe, frustration can trigger inspiration. On the plus side, I am able to prevent dud days from getting me down. Most ambitious projects are leaps of faith, especially when one is sequestered by oneself in the middle of a global crisis. At such times, it is only reasonable to lean on faith more than one ordinarily would. Because there is not much else to lean on.
Tuesday, August 25, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment