I came across a tweet yesterday which quoted from Leiden University's website: 'The dissertation need not be one’s life’s work. Any research project is theoretically infinite, but at some point the dissertation simply needs to be finished.' It came as a topical reminder to me as I struggle in the final year of my PhD. My PhD involves engaging with or navigating around several complex topics, and I am having a tough time deciding which of these buckets a particularly topic should go into it. It feels like walking a tightrope--a few careless paragraphs could completely put off an uncompromising examiner. Hopefully, as I refine my core arguement, I will be able to narrow the scope of my thesis. I should also take heart from the fact that my first academic publication dipped into several topics. Of course, it was co-authored by my supervisor, but almost all of it was written by me.
Monday, August 3, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment