Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Communication Frequency

As someone who is quick to respond to messages, people who take ages to respond have always been a  pet peeve of mine. The peeve turns into pain in the sphere of online dating, but can be a cause of  stress even when there is no prospect of romance. For instance, a close friend is going through a tough situation and is seeking my advice from time to time. Except that she is not every prompt at responding to my messages asking for updates on her situation, which makes me worry. I am not calling her out on it because I don't want to make this about myself, but I can't deny that it is a cause of stress for me. To be sure, I am not the only friend whose counsel she is seeking, so I shouldn't expect to be updated in real time. I am also conscious of the fact that my neediness could be masquerading as concern--something I have become hypersensitive about in recent years. 
Over the years, I have tempered my expectations of prompt responses, but I try to speak out when I feel completely taken for granted. A few days ago, I ticked off a friend who hadn't responded clearly when I texted him to make a plan and only popped into view when his other plan got cancelled. But, it is one thing to be peeved and another matter when you are worried, especially if you are an anxious personality, like me and my mother. She panics if I don't pick up the phone. On the very off chance that I ever become a parent, I am sure, I will be of that kind. 

No comments: