Saturday, October 26, 2019

Wisdom and Humility

We live in an age of great tumult, and it pays to not cling to opinions too tightly, or at least be open to opposing ones. I had a discussion with a friend about feminism yesterday, and a few months ago, I would have dismissed her views as out-dated and anti-feminist. Yesterday, I was more prepared to listen to her views, and while we disagreed on most points, there were a few points of agreement that I would have missed had I been my previous dogmatic self. These past few months, I have been much more skeptical of my own intellectual abilities, and for someone that is prone to overconfidence, that is a good thing. "I feel this way, but what do I know?" is a healthy attitude to have. Dismissing people or their opinion's as inane is easy, but not constructive. Maybe they are inane but its not really your business unless you plan on marrying them or developing deep friendships with them. It is better to let them have their say and suspend  judgement because who knows, they might sway you.

No comments: