Saturday, October 5, 2019

Homeless

I got a text today from my landlord saying I couldn't stay in my room after November and even if I wanted the room in November I would have to pay 20% more rent. At least, this eviction notice was an improvement over the last one, which was served as part of a tirade from a crazy landlord at midnight. My entanglement with that landlord was a cause of stress for months and contributed to my breakdown.
This time, the writing had been on the wall for months. My landlord's idiosyncracies and territorial instincts had steadily morphed into barely disguised hostility. Small privileges and conveniences had been taken away one by one, and the rules tightened to such an extent that the house had started to feel like a military camp. I had made up my mind that I would look for a new place as soon as I returned from India, and today's development only adds to the urgency.
Yes, the rental market looks pretty tight at the moment. Yes, I would prefer to move in with someone I know and can stand, and if we are also friends, that would be excellent. But, it doesn't look like that will happen. So, it looks like I am on my own again and will have to start afresh. It feels liberating as well as intimidating. Yes, I will have no company to leaven the tribulation that is a house hunt, but neither will I have to negotiate with or accommodate the needs and wishes of other people. If I make a bad choice, I can move out without upsetting any friendships. Over the past few years, I have been through too much to be excessively put out by  my  housing situation. Yes, a home is an abode and I  will do my best to find one that ticks all the boxes. But, my  priority over the next 12 months is finishing my PhD, and everything else comes second. 

No comments: