This evening, my mother asked me if my friends and I swore a lot when I was in my teens and, specifically, we swore when we are in front of girls. I was a little taken aback by the question, but I don't think I have the answer she wanted. Her objection to swearing is that most swear-words are demeaning to women. I said something like we all say and do sexist things because we live in a sexist society, which she wasn't very convinced about. I guess my broader point is we all draw the limits for ourselves and it unfair to impose our limits on others (obviously, sexual harassment and assault are well beyond any sane person's limits). But, we are all hypocrites, but in myriad ways.
I don't want to turn this blog into one on the power of discourse. But, I think this issue is similar to the one about risque song lyrics that objectify women. When does the fight against objectification turn into moral policing? Does the fight for women's liberation encompass the right of women to "shackle" themselves? Basically, how do we avoid turning into sanctimonious pricks? I don't think there are any easy answers. The important thing is to not hoist your own answers on other people.
I don't want to turn this blog into one on the power of discourse. But, I think this issue is similar to the one about risque song lyrics that objectify women. When does the fight against objectification turn into moral policing? Does the fight for women's liberation encompass the right of women to "shackle" themselves? Basically, how do we avoid turning into sanctimonious pricks? I don't think there are any easy answers. The important thing is to not hoist your own answers on other people.
No comments:
Post a Comment