Yesterday, I interviewed someone who had managed to avoid being entangled in the biggest scam in India's history. Of course, I only had his account to go by but it struck me that to keep out of trouble in India, especially if you work in the upper echelons of business or government, it is not enough to be honest. One must also be shrewd enough to avoid being entangled in the capers of dishonest people. Which is why I don't think I would ever survive in India. I consider myself to be of above-average intelligence, but below-average cunning by Indian standards, at least. (In the UK, I feel street-smart). But, in India, every business interaction feels like a bit of a contest. Everyone is trying to size up the opposite person, trying to calculate what to say, how much to say. Every communication feel strategic, which is why I feel a little out of my depth.
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment