Sunday, October 6, 2019

OTS

OTS stands for over-training syndrome, and is a recently discovered health condition that affects ultra-endurance athletes. I am fitter than average but far from any kind of athlete, but I have been thinking about over-training a lot these past few days. I have started a new high-intensity training routine since I arrived in India, and it is kick-ass. But, I am worried that I am over-doing it. Within my first week, I got my usual over-training symptom, which is a scratchy throat. I still pushed on knowing there was a 80% chance I would come down with a cold and I did. I know my body well enough to know when I am pushing it past my limits and that I will repent it. I have written about how anxious people are likely to exercise in  anxious ways. Whenever I am going through a stressful period, I try to distract myself with exercise. Sometimes it is easier to listen to my body than at other times. So, I am trying not to be hard on myself for not being easy on myself. That does sounds like a word salad but I do think that pushing yourself too hard to be kind to yourself is being unkind to yourself. Maybe sometimes it is just healthier to accept that there will be times when you will be unkind to yourself and not aspire towards a saint's level of self-kindness.

No comments: