Sunday, October 13, 2019

Comeuppance

Yesterday, it struck me how I have abandoned any hope of opposing the right-wing wave from my armchair by appealing to their sense of justice. As cynical as it sounds, I believe that appealing to people's better nature is futile because they don't have one. Rather, the only way for the right-wing surge to end is in the flames of war and economic destruction. So, strong is the fascist movement that those of us on the left are forced to speak its language and judge its performance with respect to its promises. There is no room to question the promises themselves. The cratering of the economy, the rising intolerance towards not just minorities but also liberal values that many of the urban supporters of the fascist government in India hold dear. But, there is no joy in being proved right when the world is in flames. I would pray that my prediction of a war with our neighbour or a full-blown recession doesn't come true. 

No comments: