Monday, October 28, 2019

Cold Snap

I had forgotten how unpleasant it can be cycling to uni in the cold. That it was my first time up the slope since returning from India made it worse. My lungs were gasping for air and my thighs were burning even before I was halfway up. By sheer grit, I made it to the top of the hill, but I had already started dreading the next day's commute. Given that it is sniffles season, I was also wary of picking up a cold. All in all, not a great reacquaintance with my daily commute. I remember earlier this year when a middle-aged man passed me on his bike and exclaimed with a grimace, "It doesn't get easier, does it?" and that is so true! I have been cycling up that route for a year and a half and it still feels as difficult as it did on the first day. Granted, I don't have a great bike, but surely my stamina should have improved over time? Not a great advertisement for training progress. 

No comments: