Saturday, October 12, 2019

Friends With Opposing Political Views

I just read an article about being friends with someone who holds opposing political views. It is a good article and one of the points it makes is political views are just one aspect of a person. We may see political views as representations of a moral compass but I have met enough nice people on the right (although not right-wing) and unpleasant people on the left to place a lot of faith in that belief. Neither do people's views on different subjects cleave neatly into the left or right categories. I would like to think that most of my friends are kind people with socially liberal values, even if they don't support the same progressive causes that I do. Also, at the risk of sounding patronizing, I am more prepared to tolerate right-leaning or centre-right opinions from people who are not associated with the social sciences professionally. If you are immersed in a social sciences profession such as media, law or academia and still lean right, we are unlikely to be fast friends, for what that is worth. However, I do have a tolerance for people who are patient and open to other viewpoints. Also  absolved are old friendships which were formed before my political awareness and have stood the test of time. I believe political views are emotional rather than rational in nature and it is common for people (including myself) to hold contradictory views as well as absolve themselves from the standards that they hold other people to. In summary, if interacting with someone makes me angry most of the time, I don't. Life is too short.

No comments: