Monday, May 31, 2021

Long Weekend Ends

 On Friday evening, I was starting at the bank holiday evening with a long face. I had just accepted that I would need a three-month extension to my PhD, and I was feeling like a loser on the work front as well as the love front. The weekend has passed and it went much better than I imagined. I went for a solo bike ride yesterday, which brought back memories of my bike rides in the Meijendel reserve near my student accommodation in Holland. Those rises were much nicer because I would barely run into more than a dozen people. But yesterday made me realize that I enjoy being outdoors by myself. And, even in overcrowded England, there are always moments of solitude and tranquility to be found. Today, I went on my second date in less than a week (with a different person). There was no chemistry and I think we both were a little bored. I was feeling low after the date, but the girl sent a message explaining why this was goodbye. And, that message made me feel much better because she showed consideration towards a person she will never lay eyes on again. I wasn't going to message her, because I don't like telling people I didn't them attractive. But, being honest with someone is a sign that you respect them and have concern for them. It tells me this girl is a nice person and I sincerely hope she finds love. And, with this date, my online dating sojourn comes to an end, leaving me to focus on my PhD. Its an easy decision, because I simply don't feel like being on online dating apps. And, today, I may feel alone and unloved but I can guarantee that I will feel much better in a few days. Dating is anxiety-inducing for me, and I have never managed to cultivate a healthy way of approaching it. So, yeah, this might not be the summer of freedom from my PhD or the summer of love. But, that doesn't mean it will have to be a bad summer. The next bank holiday is at the end of August. By that time, I should be close to submitting my PhD. Anything can happen in this world, but I have a hunch that it will be smooth sailing this time. 

No comments: