Sunday, May 2, 2021

The Year of Tears

 If 2020 was the year of fear, 2021 is the year of tears. Just as I got home after a nice day out with friends, I learnt that one of the aunties of my childhood--mothers of my friends--had died. So, the second death of someone I knew personally. I wonder what the tally will be at the end of the year. II hope I am not overdramatizing for literary effect, There are deaths that bruise you, deaths that singe you and deaths that break you. In my life, I have experienced several of the first category, just one of the second category and none of the last category. Countless people in India are experiencing and will experience the second and the third categories of losses. How does one cope with such a year? Cry more, laugh more and try to keep busy in the intervals, I guess. I wonder what rituals we will develop to mourn the people we lose.

No comments: