Could it be that I have found an antidote for anxiety? I have been feeling pretty anxious on and off since last morning. The reasons are obvious--stress about finishing my PhD on time and about reentering the dating scene. My stomach is in that weird place where it isn't upset nor is it fine. Lots of belching and farting. I have learned that when my stomach is unsettled without any cause, it is usually due to anxiety. The flutters came back towards the late afternoon today, and I was preparing for a restless night. But, then I started singing party songs, and before long my anxiety had receded dramatically. Could it be that I have found the ultimate antidote for my anxiety--singing? Or was it a fluke that it receded at the same time? More likely, it is another antidote to add to my arsenal. The ways of the human mind are mysterious, and what may work once may not work again in exactly the same circumstances. Singing may work some times, at other times it could be yoga or meditation or even wanking. However, one has to be careful because focussing on antidotes may encourage trying to fight anxiety, which may make it worse. Nothing is a more self-fulfilling cycle than getting anxious about anxiety. Sometimes it is better to let it course through you. The best thing to do is to go with your gut, rather than overthink the right strategy.
Wednesday, May 26, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment