Covid has finally claimed someone I knew, who was also someone I wish I knew better. I woke up to a text from her cousin who happens to be married to my cousin. She was a person with ferocious intelligence and an unparalleled zest for life. We were in journalism school together but we never became close partly because we each had our own tight clique of friends. And, I didn't care for her friends, and possibly she didn't for me or mine. But, I always thought that if we had spent more time together we would have become close. Of course, she was immensely popular and loved to throw big and boisterous parties. Some of us thought she was bit spoilt, until I learnt that she had a serious medical condition that required periodic hospital visits. By all accounts, she was one of then nicest and friendliest people I knew. This Covid was is hitting much closer to home, and I am afraid she won't be the last person I lose. I am going to try not to think about what's in store for India in the next few weeks. All I know is that this pandemic is far from over and we are some distance from things returning to "normal". I say normal because I believe there will be new norms post-Covid.
Thursday, April 22, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment