Monday, April 19, 2021

Boozing Up, British Style

  If there is one situation where I feel the most out of place in this country, is when I am around boozy Brits. Especially boozy British football fans. This doesn't happen often because I don't/didn't go to pubs often. I have written before about how it is discomfiting to be around drunk Brits because they are so uptight when they are sober. Alcohol gives them the license to lash out, and lash out they do. Drunk brits are not jolly or amiable like drunk people often are, they are shrill and aggressive. Even unhinged. It feels like Brits drink tp punish themselves, like it s act of self-flagellation. Last Saturday, I was out with some friends, and since bars were closed, everyone was drinking on the streets. When we left around 7 pm it was getting wild out there. The bins and the space around them were completely swamped with booze battles, and people were starting to act out too. I was so glad to get away from there. 

No comments: