This evening, as I was struggling to write my PhD thesis, I shifted my chair away from desk and next to a window. The trick worked, the wheels started moving again. I even considered moving my desk to the window, but quickly dropped the idea as it faces the wall of the house next door. To get a view of the green patch opposite my house I had to be at an angle, which is possible with a chair but not with a desk.
As I spend most of my time in my room, I am learning to use the space in ways that I never imagined before the lockdown. A few weeks before the lockdown, I turned my bed around so its head would be next to the window. Now, I find it difficult to fathom why I wasted the view out of my window for three months. I love lying in bed in the mornings, listening to a podcast in the twilight of dawn. On Sundays, I stay in longer and watch the sun rise. In the evenings, perch myself on the sidetable, with my legs stretched out on the window ledge. The mini alcove next to my wardrobe and in front of the boiler cupboard has become a substitute whiteboard on which I have laid out post-it notes. And, of course, the desk has been a game-changer, both for work and exercise.
I am so grateful to have a pleasant living space during lockdown. There is not much more I could ask for.
No comments:
Post a Comment