Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Selflessness

Last evening, I was debating with a close friend  how selfless she is. I was trying to convince her she was much more selfless than me and she was disagreeing, protesting that she wasn't a pushover. I was virtuously explaining to her that being selfless doesn't make one  a doormat. She wasn't convinced and we were at an impasse so we left it at that and called it a day.  
This morning, it occurred to me that selfless people don't see themselves as selfless. Their selfless behavior comes naturally to them. The only people who see themselves as selfless are likely to be quite selfish in reality. One always makes judgement with reference to something or someone else. My friend is more selfless than me. On the other hand, people who see themselves as selfless are likely to find those around them selfish. I don't know if I am making sense or tying myself up in knots. The bottomline is nice people don't spend time thinking how nice they are. And, people who do are likely to be not so nice.

No comments: