The other day, I often think about a story by Anton Chekhov that we read in school called 'The Bet'. It is about a bet between a millionaire and a young man that the latter will be able to remain confined in a single room for 15 years. The story describes the changes in the man through the years--the voracious reader phase, the musical instruments phase, the melancholy phases. It ends with the young man leaving the room and forfeiting his reward a few hours before his 15 years are up. The story talks about the rationale behind the man's decision in a letter left by the man.
Since there are some similarities between being in a lockdown and the man's situation, I am wondering about my own behaviour changes and mood swings over the course of the lockdown. The only thing I have noticed so far is a lack of desire to leave the house for any reason. I thought being cooped up at home during a lockdown would be terrible, but that hasn't been the case. But, so far at least, I haven't noticed any sharp change in habits or preferences. Lets see what the coming weeks and months bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment