A common experience of a lockdown is losing track of which day of the week it is. I messaged my landlady about an electricity problem on a Saturday without realising it was the weekend. But, what a lockdown does is it also obscures your sense of place, especially if you are one of those people who only steps out for shop runs. I don't feel like I am living in Bristol. The outside world starts where my house ends. It blurs the distance between me and Covid-19 hotspots. It feels like Birmingham or London are in my backyard, and all these places are connected by the highly contagious virus.
In ordinary circumstances, my city and my experience of going around it act as a buffer between me and the depressing news from other parts of the world. Now, there is no buffer.
I don't know if what I am saying makes sense.
In ordinary circumstances, my city and my experience of going around it act as a buffer between me and the depressing news from other parts of the world. Now, there is no buffer.
I don't know if what I am saying makes sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment