Thursday, April 16, 2020

Audrey

As I was preparing to go to bed tonight, I suddenly remembered Audrey, the Polish-American woman whom I had shown around Mumbai seven years ago. We only met that once but her warmth and intelligence immediately put me at ease. Some personalities just well, to put it crudely, and we shared a rapport immediately.The last time I looked her up on Google about two years ago, I learnt that she was having health problems which had resulted in her losing her job and health insurance. A friend had set up a gofundme page to help with her medical expenses. I tried to contribute but the link was dead. From my blog post, I learnt that I had meant to write to her, but life got in the way.
Tonight when I typed her name in the search bar the word 'obituary' propped up as a search prompt. My heart sank as I pulled up her obituary. She had died on 17th February this year but her obituary didn't say how. I tried looking for more details all I could find was a short post by the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist), of which she was a member.
I was chatting with a friend a few weeks ago and he said the world literally breaks his heart everyday. I feel the same.

No comments: