Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Public Service

This evening, our PhD whatsapp group hummed to life as we discussed what our reps should bring up in their next meeting with the faculty. I had applied for the position of rep but for some reason, I wasn't considered. In hindsight, I am glad I didn't get it because I am not animated with a sense of public service. I am capable of fighting my own corner but not so much when I don't have a horse in the race. A part of it is self-centeredness and a part of it an antipathy towards social interactions that an campaigning role entails. During my master's in Holland, I was a member of the housing committee fighting against extortionate rents and poor service and discharged my duties with distinction. But, the housing issues genuinely made me angry and the role had a public aspect to it. Chairing public meetings, getting to play the eloquent and passionate crusader.  I am not going to pretend I didn't enjoy the limelight and the admiration, especially from the opposite sex. But, that was before I started my PhD and became even more of an introvert.
Coming back to the topic, I don't think I would make a good politician at all even though I am reasonably smart and reasonably good public speaker. I am no campaigner and coming from a family which has more than its fair share of campaigners it has been difficult to come to terms with this aspect of  my  personality. But come to terms with it I have. 

No comments: