I haven't progressed much with my PhD over the past week or so and it is starting to get to me. I know this is all part of the 'magical' process of academic writing that will produce insights so nuanced and esoteric that not more than a handful of people would be interested in reading my thesis. Pardon my cynicism, but being stuck seems like a perpetual state of being during a PhD. But, this post is not a rant, although it started as one. Yes, I am stuck on a chapter and I have been for a few days. I was trying to come out of my rut myself but today I reached out to my PhD supervisor for help. I am showing up everyday to work, and if I am not being productive it is not due to lack of trying. In short, I am doing the best I can and that is all I can do. Some day (soon), I will shoot out of my rut like a rocket, either self-propelled or with someone's help.
No, this post is about being able to keep myself on an even keel despite not making progress with my PhD and being quarantined at home during a global pandemic. Last week, I got a glimpse of what it feels like to be in a poor place mentally and it wasn't pretty. Fortunately, it didn't last long but it was a timely reminder. I am not taking anything for granted now. Yes, the past few days have been unproductive, but at least I am in good health and in good spirits. When this unproductive streak ends, I will be grateful for being productive. I am doing the best I can in difficult circumstances, as are many other people, and that is all we can do.
No comments:
Post a Comment