Some wise-ish person said the two most important decisions in your life are choice of career and choice of partner. This of course assumes you have the freedom to choose both, and are definitely choices that are only available to privileged folk. When it comes to career choice, I am extremely satisfied with my choice of academia. If I am not able to find a job in academia or if life circumstances intrude and I can't go down that path, it won't be due to a lack of effort. On the second important life choice, I have spent long hours ruminating over whether I even want to a partner. I even saw my counselor during my trip to India to help figure out the answer to that question. To no avail. I still haven't figured out the answer to that question and come to the conclusion that I won't in the foreseeable future. I am not as secure and comfortable in my singlehood nor, on the other hand, so rankled by it for the answer to be a no-brainer. And neither am I at an age where I can resign myself to a life of bachelorhood. Yes, the only avenue for me to find a partner at the moment is online dating, which can sometimes feel like pulling teeth out. But just because one finds the search for a partner unpleasant, doesn't mean one doesn't want a partner.
Tuesday, April 28, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment