One of the phases in my house has tripped a fuse, so I am writing this with my door open to let in light from the hallway. As the pandemic unfolds, I have often contemplated how I would cope if utilities went down. This is not outside the realm of possibility for the first time in my life in the West. Maybe this is a teaser of things to come? I hope not, because I am heavily reliant on the Internet for both work and leisure. But whatever happens I would at least be able to sleep comfortably at night, unlike in India.
I remember when I lived shortly in Delhi when I was in my early 20s, the power would conk out at 11:30 in the night. Lying sweating in the dark, wondering whether the power would come back in 2 minutes or 2 hours, and also wondering if it would conk out again, is not a pleasant feeling. At least here, I can gaze out of my bedroom window if I have nothing else to do. Living in a crisis makes you glad for small joys.
No comments:
Post a Comment