I feel there is too much societal pressure to enjoy breaks from work, especially when the breaks are somewhat forced by social conventions, such as during the Christmas holidays. It is true that however engaging and enjoyable one's work (research, in my case) is, one needs time away from it to recharge one's batteries. But the time away need not be blissful. It just needs to be time away. In fact, being bored of a break is possibly excellent motivation for working harder after the break. I never imagined I would sound like such a workaholic. But, when your work is engaging and you don't have an active social life, I guess it is natural.
The same goes for a change of scene. Living in an AirBnB for a months at a stretch can be stressful, and I feel it is important to go away for a few days from time to time.
No comments:
Post a Comment