Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Going Inwards, Going Outwards

I find it incredible how many questions in the social sciences can be reduced to the structure-agency debate. One of them is the question of mental health. Is poor mental health primarily down to an individual's mental makeup (agency) or due to the wider social context (structure). Obviously both, but which factor dominantes?I know of many structuralists and Marxists who believe modern capitalism is making people sicker mentally. You can swap capitalism with 'technology' or 'culture' or 'social media' without altering your frame of analysis too much. On the other hand, almost all the people I know who struggle with their mental health are either survivors of trauma or have a troubled relationship with their families, particularly their mothers, or both. This is a complex question and I don't pretend to have the answer. There is also the philosophical concept of the dialectic, which I will not get into right now.
But, as I was doing yoga today, I thought of an analogous question--is personal transformation the essential precursor  to social and ecological transformation or is it the other way around? Personally, going inwards has helped me face the world and become more effective in it in my own small way. And, when it seems like the world is going crazy, retreating into my own space--either through yoga or through blogging/therapeutic writing--is such a respite. Does this mean I favour personal transformation over social activism? The answer is different strokes for different folks. I am not inclined towards activism, although that might change in the future (I acknowledge that I am quite  privileged, and have never been denied my basic rights, so opting out of activism is a luxury I could afford). However, my ongoing personal transformation has made me a better teacher and a better friend. And, even if you hope to change the world, a good place to begin is  your own small corner of it.

No comments: