One of my favourite books is titled The Watershed Year. I won't go into the details of the book except to say that a Watershed Year is the year in a person's life when everything changes. It refers to a fundamental change in a person's approach to their life, which may be precipitated by a crisis, but need not be. My actual watershed year was 2017, when existential issues that had been bubbling under the surface of my personhood for decades burst forth, forcing me to address them. Confront them I did, and while it wasn't a short and easy process, I can confidently say that I am much more at peace with myself than I have ever been. But, while my approach to life changed in 2017 it was untested. I was worried that my new perspective was just a series of fictions I had told myself to alleviate my suffering, and that the bottom would fall out again when I returned to my studies in England. So, 2018 would be the year when my changed approach to life would be put to the test.
The bottom didn't fall out and I end the year much more confident than when I began it. I have been extraordinarily fortunate in some respects and unlucky in others. I experienced--in no particular order--crises of confidence, professional setbacks, professional successes, the fallout of a toxic relationship, loneliness, moments of heightened anxiety, romantic disappointment, the profound fulfillment that blogging regularly brings. I lost a very dear friend, and made two others. But, I pulled through. The bottom didn't fall out, and it feels securely in place at the moment. My new perspective on life endured in 2018. Who knows what 2019 will bring?
The bottom didn't fall out and I end the year much more confident than when I began it. I have been extraordinarily fortunate in some respects and unlucky in others. I experienced--in no particular order--crises of confidence, professional setbacks, professional successes, the fallout of a toxic relationship, loneliness, moments of heightened anxiety, romantic disappointment, the profound fulfillment that blogging regularly brings. I lost a very dear friend, and made two others. But, I pulled through. The bottom didn't fall out, and it feels securely in place at the moment. My new perspective on life endured in 2018. Who knows what 2019 will bring?
No comments:
Post a Comment