Sunday, December 23, 2018

Soft Lips

This post is not raunchy as the title suggests. At dinner at my aunt's place today, we were having red wine from the expensive glasses my cousin gifted her a couple of years ago. Why someone would pay top dollar for a wine glass escapes me, but one difference that I have noticed is expensive wine glasses are much thinner at the edges. Those glasses took me back to a incident, or rather a series of incident, from approximately 23 years ago. I was on holiday with my family and we were being hosted by the manager of the nearby cement factory, who was a colleague of my father. At meals, we were served drinks in these expensive really thin glasses. How thin I discovered when I took a sip of water and inadvertently bit off a top of the glass. I was not very fazed the first time this happened, but the second time my embarrassment knew no bounds. I wished a hole would open in the earth and swallow me. I burst into tears, as I was wont to at the slightest sign of trouble at that age. My sister, bless her, was the most supportive, and remember her mouthing the words "soft lips" to remind me at dinner the next day.
Another connector to that vacation from many years ago, was a documentary on tigers we watched after dinner today. It was filmed in the same reserve that we had visited on that vacation.

P.S.: Am I on a nostalgia trip? In the past few days, I  have suddenly recollected people and  incidents after years, and in some cases, decades.

No comments: