I have been in Bristol for 13 months cumulatively, and for almost all of that time (save for three weeks in a house with a landlord from hell) my abode has been an AirBnB. Many people express surprise when I tell them as they assume someone who is doing a PhD would have a more permanent living arrangement. My reply is that there is too much luck and effort involved in finding a place whicch is i) hospitable ii) conveniently located iii) with convival housemates iv) who don't have annoying living habits. Would I prefer to live with friends? Of course. But, I get along well with my landlord, he has helped me through some tough times and I have tried to repay the favour, the house is conveniently located and I am comfortable. So, it would take a lot of convincing for me to make the effort to find a new place.
The other housemates are typically people passing through Bristol or who have just moved here and are looking for a room to rent. Sometimes, we get guests who stay for a few months, but that is rare. While some of the dozens of people who have stopped by had annoying habits, none of them was mean, cussed or crazy. Airbnb has a lot of flaws and has done a lot of harm, but there is something to be said for their feedback system. Allowing both guests and hosts to leave feedback encourages good behavior and ensures that good behavior is rewarded.
I am used to running into complete strangers in the kitchen or on the way to the bathroom at 6 am. Sometimes, I feel hedged in if there are too many people, especially in our small kitchen at meal times. But I usually do my cooking during the weekends when the kitchen is free.
I usually don't bother to engage in conversation with people who are staying just for a day or two. With guests who are staying longer, I have had quite a few interesting and pleasant conversations. These are pleasant passing acquaintances (I wouldn't call them friendships). Often in life, you find yourself in the company of agreeable folk who are going the same way as you for a bit. You share a few laughs and then go your separate ways without bothering to keep in touch. Most of my interactions in Bristol are of this fleeting nature and I am strangely quite okay with that. Interacting without the expectations of forming long-term friendships (or more) is quite liberating.
Yesterday, for the first time, I went out with two of my housemates to a neighbourhood pub. We were joined by one of my one-handful of friends in Bristol, and as they say here, we had a jolly time. I had never imagined I would socialize with my housemates and was a little hesitant. But, I enjoyed myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment