Sunday, September 2, 2018

Ride of Passage

Sorry for the punny headline, but I have been wracking my brains about what to blog about today and this is the only thing I could think of. Today, as I was riding to my book club meeting, a card driver honked and swore at me. I was riding on a pavement which runs along a motor road and doubles as a cycle path, and he was turning off the motor road. As far as I remember, his turning indicator wasn't on. It wasn't a close shave and he had barely begun turning, when he saw me, stopped and honked. That would have been the end off it, but I turned back and looked at him indignantly. Which is when he swore at me.
I wasn't daydreaming, but my attention was focused on cars coming out of the lane on to the motor road. I should have looked right to the motor road before I looked left, though.
I am surprised it hasn't happened before. I have been riding in Bristol for more than a year now and I have only been honked at once before. I am a safe rider and give cars a wide berth.
This is a rite of passage and a reminder to be more careful. I have been fortunate so far. One of my colleagues told me how a friend of hers would be sworn at multiple times in a single day by car drivers. And, I am glad I ride a cycle which doesn't go too fast. 

No comments: