Sunday, September 16, 2018

Bath

After 14 months of living  in Bristol,  I can finally say that I've been to Bath. People come from far and wide to visit this town, with its mixture of Norman, Victorian, Georgian and Celtic architecture ( I wikied this). Historically a refuge of wealthy Londoners, it is very white and very prosperous. It took all of 11 minutes on the train for me and my housemate to get there.
It isn't much of a revelation to say that I am a lazy and reluctant traveler. My dating profile doesn't list 'travelling' as a hobby and I only travel for work or to visit family/friends. And, when I travel with family/friends, I am usually not the one taking the lead in organizing the trip. I can't imagine being on the road for months, or even weeks, on end as I would be thoroughly bored. Everyone needs a change of scene from time to time and so do I. But running away from something is not the same as running towards something else. Its not like I hate to travel, its just that I don't enjoy it enough to do it for its own sake if I don't have company. Just like I have a functional relationship with food and would never eat alone in a nice restaurant, not because I feel awkward about eating alone, but because I can't be bothered to take so much trouble over food. I am a wanderer at heart, but I do all my wandering in my mind. 

No comments: