I watched the Spike Lee movie Black Klansmen this evening. It is a well-made movie and although I was familiar with the plot because I had read a newspaper article about it a few months ago, I wasn't bored. The black characters were complex and the protagonist couldn't be slotted as either militant black or a house ni#$**. I felt the love story between the protagonist and his black radical girlfriend a little implausible a little fairy-tale-like. Also, the change of heart of the protagonist's white colleagues was a little hard to buy. It is based on a true story, but I wonder how much artistic license was deployed. What I particularly liked is how the filmmaker linked the movie to contemporary events, which is what separated it from a run-of-the-mill Hollywood movie based on an incredible true story. I suppose these are extraordinary times when even Nike is taking a stand on police brutality against black people.
Thursday, September 6, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment