Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Ways of Seeing

I am reading a brick-sized tome by the Austrian economist Joseph Schumpeter, one of the most well-known economists of the 21st century. The book is titled The History of Economic Analysis. Today, I read the part where he talks about vision as a precursor to analysis. How you view a certain phenomena  as interesting and worthy of examination precedes any analysis you make of it. As it happens, I am taking an epistemology course called Ways of Knowing. Maybe, there should also be a course entitled Ways of Seeing (or maybe there already are such courses). It is not simply a question of "framing" a problem, or deciding the limits of the scope of your analysis. Before you can do that, you need to see it as a problem, and often it is a problem that no one else has seen before. This act of cognition precedes analysis. It is not clear to me whether a way of seeing is a fundamental psychic process or whether it can be reduced to ideology (political worldview) or epistemology (ways off knowing). Maybe the way you know influences the way of see.  

No comments: