Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Worldly Activity and Angst

I was reading Max Weber's famous The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit Of Capitalism the other day. In one part he talks about how Calvinism advocated for "worldly activity" to keep religious anxiety (relationship with God,  etc.) at bay. Worldly activity refers to a professional vocation. And, it struck me how little things have changed. In the present impious day, worldly activity is seen as an antidote for existential angst. Humans have been agonizing over spiritual matters since time immemorial. Questions like who am I,why am I where, what is the purpose of my existence are not products of our enlightened time. These questions have been vexing women and men for millennia. Maybe these questions assumed different forms with  the ebb and flow of religious sentiment.But, the ability to ask existential questions such as these, while also going about existing like every other creature on this  planet, is probably what makes us human. 

No comments: