I think I might have found my perch in Bristol. A perch is a special perspective on the world, a vantage point from which the hugeness of the world becomes apparent. It is difficult to look at the open sky and not feel small yet at home in the world. You never feel alone on a perch because you have the whole world for company, but keeping a respectful distance so you don't feel hedged in.The best perches are tall roofs or hilltops because they give you a chance to admire the city and also to gaze up at the open sky. For me, a perch is place of relaxation and mellow reflection. Being above the world physically gives you, not just a splendid view, but a different perspective. Being above the bustle allows you to look at the bustle with a different outlook.
My second-favourite perch is a giant rock I discovered last autumn in the mountains surrounding a tiny village called Chithkul in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh. The view from there felt like a collage of breath-taking postcards. A pine forest against a backdrop of grey rock mountains, flanked by snow-covered mountains on one side. The river streaming down from the snowy mountains and the azure blue sky were the icing on the cake. I sat on that rock for about three hours, singing my favourite songs, talking to myself or just being silent, and felt a peace that I hadn't in a long time.
But my favourite perch is a plateau overlooking the Kedarnath temple in Uttaranchal. That was a magical scene. Snow-covered mountains on one side providing white relief to the majestic ancient stone temple, from which long queues of devotees snaked out. The town laid out untidily immediately below the perch. The sound of bells and hymns floating in the air along with the odd cloud of mountain mist. Blissful.
At home in Thane, my perch is in the Yeoor hills and overlooks the taller Parsik hills in the east, with Thane city laid out below. The sight of the sun popping up from behind the Parsik hills at sunrise cannot be forgotten easily. From there, the chaos of my maddening claustrophobic hometown feels bearable, almost benign.
During my time in Holland, I didn't have a perch since the country is as flat as a pancake, but I had the sea. I have spent many a pleasurable evening walking on the beach in the dark, occasionally startling the odd couple or group who thought they had the beach to themselves.
After describing my past perches, my present perch in Bristol doesn't seem so spectacular. But, it will do just fine until or unless I find a better one.
My second-favourite perch is a giant rock I discovered last autumn in the mountains surrounding a tiny village called Chithkul in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh. The view from there felt like a collage of breath-taking postcards. A pine forest against a backdrop of grey rock mountains, flanked by snow-covered mountains on one side. The river streaming down from the snowy mountains and the azure blue sky were the icing on the cake. I sat on that rock for about three hours, singing my favourite songs, talking to myself or just being silent, and felt a peace that I hadn't in a long time.
But my favourite perch is a plateau overlooking the Kedarnath temple in Uttaranchal. That was a magical scene. Snow-covered mountains on one side providing white relief to the majestic ancient stone temple, from which long queues of devotees snaked out. The town laid out untidily immediately below the perch. The sound of bells and hymns floating in the air along with the odd cloud of mountain mist. Blissful.
At home in Thane, my perch is in the Yeoor hills and overlooks the taller Parsik hills in the east, with Thane city laid out below. The sight of the sun popping up from behind the Parsik hills at sunrise cannot be forgotten easily. From there, the chaos of my maddening claustrophobic hometown feels bearable, almost benign.
During my time in Holland, I didn't have a perch since the country is as flat as a pancake, but I had the sea. I have spent many a pleasurable evening walking on the beach in the dark, occasionally startling the odd couple or group who thought they had the beach to themselves.
After describing my past perches, my present perch in Bristol doesn't seem so spectacular. But, it will do just fine until or unless I find a better one.
No comments:
Post a Comment