Friday, March 9, 2018

Male and female friends

A few days ago, I read an opinion piece advising women not to date a man who doesn't have any female friends. Who sees women as either mothers or sexual partners. Since most of my close friends are women, I am eminently dateable. But, I feel that is an incomplete aspiration. As I have written before, I have male friends who have female friends that they are very close to. Our interactions with our respective female friends are imbued with a closeness and affection that our interactions with each other aren't. That isn't to say male friends haven't helped me in hard times. But, when shit hits the fan, it is my  female friends that I seek out. Feminism isn't just about changing how men interact with and treat women. It is also about changing how men interact with each other. Not just blokey alpha males but also sensitive "woke"ones. Neither can happen without the other. Yes, sensitive, progressive men will have female friends. But, that is not enough. 

No comments: